Everything you need to know about the latest Instagram Reels Update for February 2021
In today’s episode, you’ll learn about the latest Instagram Update and how that will affect your content reach in 2021.
Here’s what you need to know for February 2021.
Instagram has decided they don’t want to be the second choice to tiktok and has just posted some new guidelines to follow moving forward to make a REELs difference in your reach. lol
In a press release recently posted on Instagram, I read that the Reels Algorithms won’t promote any short form videos with a TikTok Watermark on them in the explore feed. This news is Instagrams latest effort taking a stand against TikTok videos ending up on its Reels platform.
This new rule and several other guidelines include:
- Do not use blurry, low-resolution video
- Do not recycle video from other apps
- Do not post a video with watermarks or logos from other apps
- Do not cover the majority of your image with text
- Do create short-form video on Instagram using the featured and music offered on the app
- Do share original and authentic content created on the app
- Do share unique video in stories and reels that are not already posted on your post feed
- Do pull the viewer in quickly with your video and make your video intriguing.
- Do have fun and add a twist or surprise in your video.
Undoubtedly, Reels won’t replace TikTok’s content because an entirely different user base populates Instagram’s platform with another purpose, and that just can’t be duplicated. Instead, Instagram needs to find its own place in the social sphere. Perhaps Instagram will be more popular among a slightly older user base as it’s been around longer and has already built out a rather large following.
I’ve personally noticed that my Reels get 6X the views compared to TikTok, but then again, I can reshare a Reel to stories to keep it fresh on my followers’ minds. On TikTok, I can only share my TikTok to other platforms, which functions only as a reminder to people to come to follow me on yet another platform.
My favorite Tips for using Reels to get discovered on Instagram:
- Grab people’s attention by showing more things they already like to see from you. Feeding people more of what they love starts as an experiment and then gets more evident as you see some videos gain more views and engagement. Keep an eye on your previous videos and use that to shape out your content plan moving forward.
- Inspire with video: It doesn’t need to be a trend; you probably already know what inspires your people, so focus your video on giving them something to learn or feel good about.
- Use music only from the Instagram music library or original music you have exclusivity with.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with challenges and try new things. People love variety, so long as it’s exciting and entertaining, give it a try. This unique idea could be your next most viral Reel Video.
Are you on Instagram?
Come hang out with me and tag me in your Reels: www.instagram.com/jacquelinejax
Written by Jacqueline Jax
More fun articles:
How do heal the world when it's still burning?
Art has a chance of healing us through the magic of sound and lyrics but first we need to listen